California Incident Data and Statistics Program (CalStats)
Formerly known as CAIRS
CalStats is a statewide emergency incident data collection program that analyzes and distributes statistical information reported by fire departments throughout the state. This includes collecting National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) data from each fire department in California on behalf of the United States Fire Administration (USFA-FEMA). CalStats complies with Health and Safety Code 13110.5 to provide fire data and information to the fire community, and as a resource for the public. The data collected by CalStats includes such information as numbers of fires, causes of fires, types of fires, and locations of fires.
CalStats Reporting Regulations (NFIRS)
Health and Safety Code (HSC) 13110.5 Requirements
The State Fire Department must:
- Document and report all Fire, Medical Aid, and Hazardous Material incidents to the State Fire Marshal.
All other Fire Departments must:
- Report all Fire incidents to the State Fire Marshal.
The State Fire Marshal must:
- Collect and analyze the information and data reported by all fire departments.
- Compile an annual report and make their analysis available to all fire officials and the public.
NFIRS - After Action Incident Reporting
New to NFIRS? Get Started!
Step 1 - Contact the Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) to request a Fire Department Identification Number (FDID)
Step 2 - Choose your NFIRS reporting software (eNFIRS free web-based system or third-party vendor software)
Step 4 (NFIRS-compliant vendor software users ONLY) - Import files into eNFIRS (Monthly)
Returning NFIRS Users
- eNFIRS Login Page
- Update Your Fire Department Information (NEW Online Form)
- NEW! Submit updated GIS boundaries: California Local Fire District Submission App *
NEW Process for Submitting NFIRS Data - Vendor Software Users Only (As of January 2022)
National Fire Academy NFIRS Course Offerings for California Fire Departments
NFIRS Reporting Verification
To request NFIRS reporting verification for grants or other funding purposes, email:
Please include your FDID, the time frame you are requesting, and any further details. Be sure to include "NFIRS Reporting Verification" in the subject line.
NFIRS Coding Tools
NFIRS Training Resources
Burn Center Reports
Please email CalStats@fire.ca.gov
for a copy of the fillable Burn Center Report PDF.