Fire Fighter 1 2019
A California Fire Fighter 1 certification contains three levels of Professional Qualifications set by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). The three levels are:
- NFPA 1001: Fire Fighter 1
- NFPA 1140: Wildland Fire Fighter 1
- NFPA 470: Hazardous Material Awareness and Operations
These qualifications are documented in the Fire Fighter 1 Certification Training Standards (CTS). State Fire Training coordinated the development of the CTS guide, certification and associated curriculum. The Statewide Training and Education Advisory Committee (STEAC) and the State Board of Fire Services (SBFS) recommended these standards and qualifications for adoption by the Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM).
Fire Fighter 1 is the first certification in the California Fire Fighter professional certification series. The requirements for this certification can be found in the SFT Procedures Manual. The Fire Fighter 1 Implementation Plan (PDF) was developed to provide detailed information regarding how and when the transition to this new certification will go into effect.
The Fire Fighter 1 Certification is issued to those who have completed the Fire Fighter 1 academic training and certification exams (psychomotor skills exams and cognitive exams). Candidates currently enrolled in training at an Accredited Regional Training Program (ARTP) or Accredited Local Academy (ALA) will automatically be registered for the certification exam and automatically issued certification upon successful completion. Those who did not complete their academic training at an ARTP/ALA, who completed their training before implementation of the certification exam, or completed the academic training under an older edition of the curriculum are defined as an Alternate Delivery Candidate. Alternate Delivery Candidates must complete the certification exam to obtain Fire Fighter 1 Certification and will need to register directly with an accredited testing site. Upon completion of the certification exam, certification will be automatically issued.
Upgrade Applicants who have a California Office of the State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter 1 Certification and are seeking IFSAC/Pro Board certification shall apply using the Fire Fighter 1 Upgrade Application (see information below).
Reciprocity Applicants who have a Fire Fighter 1 accredited certification from IFSAC and/or Pro Board and are seeking California Fire Fighter 1 reciprocity, shall apply using the Fire Fighter 1 Reciprocity Application (see information below).
The Fire Fighter 1 Reciprocity Application is for applicants who have a Fire Fighter 1 and Hazardous Material Awareness and Operations accredited certification from IFSAC and/or Pro Board and are seeking California Fire Fighter 1 reciprocity. Certificates not bearing the appropriate seals shall not be considered. To fulfill requirements for California Fire Fighter 1 reciprocity in California, you shall be certified in all three levels. Reciprocity applicants who do not have all three levels, shall obtain training and certification testing for the levels that they do not have.
SFT only issues combined IFSAC and Pro Board Certifications. SFT will not issue a standalone IFSAC or Pro Board certification to an applicant who has already been issued an IFSAC or Pro Board certification for that level.
The Fire Fighter 1 Upgrade Application is designed for applicants who have a California Office of the State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter 1 and are seeking accredited certification from IFSAC and Pro Board. After the applicant meets the certification requirements, SFT will issue a Fire Fighter 1, Wildland Fire Fighter 1, and Hazardous Material Awareness and Operations accredited certifications.
Visit the Fire Fighter 1 Upgrade Application (PDF) for more information.
Curriculum & Testing Delivery Information
- Training Record (PDF)
- Fire Fighter 1A: Structure Skill Sheets (Zip) [Updated: 05/18/23]
- Fire Fighter 1B: HazMat Skill Sheets (Zip) [Updated: 05/18/23]
- Fire Fighter 1C: Wildland FF Skill Sheets (Zip) [Updated: 05/18/23]
- Alternate Delivery
- Remedial Training (PDF) [or go to the SFT Procedures Manual: 11.8 Psychomotor & Cognitive Remediation]
- Certification Exam Overview (PDF)
- Cognitive Exam Portal (Acadis Login)
- Psychomotor Exam Skills Summary (PDF)
- Exam Request Form (PDF)
- Exam Scripts:
- Exam Templates
- Cognitive Exam Proctor Instructions (PDF)
- Exam Eligibility Requirement Info Bulletin (PDF)
Summarizes candidate types and eligibility requirements, exam documentation, and remedial training.
- Psychomotor Skills Exam Changes Info Bulletin (PDF)
Summarizes new procedures for random skills notification, same-day skills testing, and alternate skill evaluation policy.
- Missed Learning Objective Report Info Bulletin (PDF)
Summarizes what an MLO report is and how to view/download it.
- Question Audit Request (PDF)
More information and exam scheduling documentation can be found on the Evaluator Resources web page.
- Implementation Plan (PDF)
- Certification Information Hand Out (PDF)
- Task Book (PDF)
- Fire Fighter 1A and 2A Recommended Teaching Order (PDF)
The Fire Fighter 1A and 2A Recommended Teaching Order can be used by agencies who elect to combine the Fire Fighter 1A and 2A Course Plans during the fire academy. Fire Fighter 2A is not required to be taught with the Fire Fighter 1A curriculum.
To apply for this certification, please review the certification requirements and application process listed below. For a copy of these instructions download the Certification Instructions Hand Out (PDF)
- Fire Fighter 1A: Structure
- FEMA independent study courses IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, and IS-800 (required corequisites)
- Fire Fighter 1B: Hazardous Materials
- Fire Fighter 1C: Wildland
- Confined Space Rescue Awareness (SFT or IAFF)
- Cognitive & Psychomotor Exams
- NFPA 1001: Fire Fighter 1 (SFT Fire Fighter 1A: Structure)
- NFPA 470: Awareness and Core Operations level: with Product Control and Personal Protective Equipment mission specific competencies (SFT Fire Fighter 1B: Hazardous Materials)
- NFPA 1140: Wildland Fire Fighter 1 (SFT Fire Fighter 1C: Wildland)
- Once all certification exams have been completed State Fire Training conducts an eligibility review.
- If the applicant meets the eligibility requirements, SFT issues the digital certification(s) through the applicant’s SFT User Portal.