The purpose and goal of the California State Fire Training (SFT) certification program is to; set minimum performance standards, identify the tasks needed to obtain certification, provide the means for maintaining a record of training accomplishments, and to correlate OSFM certification standards with state & national certification program standards.
Below is a list of current SFT Certifications:
Chief Fire Officer
Community Risk Educator
Community Risk Officer
Community Risk Specialist
Emergency Vehicle Technician 1
Emergency Vehicle Technician 2
Emergency Vehicle Technician 3
Executive Chief Fire Officer
Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Aerial Apparatus
Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Pump Apparatus
Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Tillered Apparatus
Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Water Tender Apparatus
Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Wildland Apparatus
Fire Fighter 1 (2013)
Fire Fighter 2 (2013)
Fire Inspector 1
Fire Inspector 2
Fire Marshal - retiring 12/31/2019 (certification checklist)
Fire Marshal (2016)
Fire Mechanic 1 - retiring 12/31/2020 (certification checklist)
Fire Mechanic 2 - retiring 12/31/2020 (certification checklist)
Fire Mechanic 3 - retiring 12/31/2020 (certification checklist)
Hazardous Materials Technician (certification checklist)
Hazardous Materials Specialist (certification checklist)
How to Apply:
Verify that you have met the requirements listed above or in the SFT Procedures Manual.
- Download, print and complete:
- The Certification Fee Schedule form.
- Certification Task Book application form for the job function certification being pursued (if applicable).
- Complete. A complete application package includes:
- The Certification Fee Schedule Form
- Nonrefundable payment by check or money order (payable to CAL FIRE - State Fire Training)
- Certification Task Book application (if applicable)
- All supporting and verification documentation.
By Mail:In Person: (by appointment only)
State Fire Training
PO Box 997446
Sacramento, CA 95899-7446
State Fire Training
2251 Harvard Street, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95815
Note: You may drop off your application packet anytime, but if you wish to receive your certificate that day, then scheduling an appointment is the safest way to ensure that your certificate will be processed. Call to schedule an appointment.
***Do not apply for any certification before you have met all requirements***
Update the Authorized Fire Chief Database
To successfully receive a California OSFM Fire Fighter certification, the Fire Chief or authorized signatory signing the experience section of the Fire Fighter Certification Task Book must be listed in the SFT Authorized Chief database before the certification task book can be submitted. To update your Chief or to add an authorized signatory, please review the Authorized Chief or Signatory Information Bulletin or simply use this Fire Chief/Authorized Signatory Sample Letter.
Locking In...no longer exists
It is not an option to “lock in” at the current certification standards and fee rate prior to submitting your complete certification application. Therefore, if you do not complete the course work or achieve the required experience prior to changes in the Certification Training Standard (CTS) you may be required to complete additional training.
Archived Certification Tracks
For those tracks that have active URL's those URL's are now obsolete.
- 2018 Certification Tracks
- 2017 Certification Tracks
- 2015 Certification Tracks
- 2014 Certification Tracks
- 2013 Certification Tracks
- 2010 Certification Tracks
- 2009 Certification Tracks
- 2007 Certification Tracks
- 2006 Certification Tracks
- 2005 Certification Tracks
- 2003 Certification Tracks
- 1999 Certification Tracks
- 1998 Certification Tracks
- 1991 Certification Tracks